Last night, HBO hosted the red carpet premiere of the new HBO Documentary Film “MAVIS!”, including an exciting a surprise performance by the legendary soul singer herself, Mavis Staples.
Following a red carpet and cocktail hour guests gathered at Florence Gould Hall theatre for an exclusive screening of the film – which follows the 60-year career of the 2016 Grammy winner and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer. Directed by Jessica Edwards, the documentary chronicles the singer’s life and highlights how Mavis influenced the musical soundtrack that defined the 60s, 70s, and beyond.
In the surprise of the evening, The Late Night Show with Stephen Colbert band leader Jon Batiste introduced Mavis Staples to perform songs off her new album Livin on a High Note and the classic hit “I’ll Take You There” by The Staples Singers. Mavis was joined on stage by singer/songwriter Valerie June with Batiste accompanying on piano.
Some of the Red Carpet celebrities and industry guests in attendance included:
- Aaron Livingsston – Musician/Music Producer, Son Little
- Amy Helm – Singer/Songwriter
- Jackson Harris – Pop Singer
- Jessica Edwards – Film Producer & Director, Director of “MAVIS!”
- Jon Batiste – Musician, Late Night with Stephen Colbert Band Leader
- Munson Steed – Media maven, founder of Rolling Out
- N’Kenge – Actress/Singer, Broadway Star
- Valerie June – Singer/Songwriter
Celebrating the extraordinary gospel and soul music legend and civil rights icon, who rose to fame as lead singer of the legendary family group The Staple Singers,MAVIS! debuts Monday, February 29, exclusively on HBO. Coinciding with the film’s HBO debut, Mavis’ new album, Livin’ on a High Note, was released by ANTI- on February 19.
For more information, visit http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/mavis/video/promo.